If you’re anything like me, you probably find it hard to resist a great deal on a wooden train set. I usually glance at any toy sale Amazon has to see if there are any good train deals that I can pass on to my readers, but in this case I was truly shocked at how many of our favorite trains and train sets were on the list for exceptionally good prices. I searched through all the toys and discovered some spectacular deals on wooden trains and other toy trains, including the lowest price I’ve ever seen on one of the best wooden train sets ever. Look below to see what I found, including great deals on Brio trains, Green Toys trains, and more!
This post contains links to Amazon.com. If you click on one, we will receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, on anything you buy at Amazon for a certain length of time afterwards. Read our disclosure policy for more details.
Amazon is holding a Prime member appreciation event from 8/24/15 to 9/6/15. According to their website, Prime members can “use the code TOYS2015 to save an additional 30% on hundreds of eligible toys in select colors and styles, for up to $100 in total savings.” Edit: the sale has now ended. (But I still recommend the trains listed below!)
If you’re not already a Prime member, don’t worry — you can get a 30-day Free Trial of Amazon Prime here! I read the fine print and made sure that the free trial would work for this event, and it does.
The most exciting deal I found is the lowest price I’ve ever seen on the Brio Deluxe Railway Set. It’s already being offered for one of best prices it goes for on Amazon (I’ve been watching it for the past two years), and the 30% off comes off of that low price. This is a can’t miss deal!
UPDATE: As of this morning (8/27/15), it looks like Amazon is sold out of this set, and the code doesn’t work for products sold by third-party sellers. However, there are so many other sets on sale…check the list below! If you’re looking in particular for a large train set, try the Brio Cargo Railway Deluxe Set or the Brio Travel Switching Set.
The Brio Deluxe Railway Set has been one of the most popular wooden train sets purchased through our Guide to the Best Wooden Train Sets. As I said there, if you’re looking for an all-in-one set with enough variety, durability, and playability to last a childhood (or several), the Brio Deluxe Railway Set fits that description perfectly. As someone who loves to build complicated wooden train layouts, I am incredibly impressed by the design of this layout: in the space of a standard-sized train table, the Brio designers have managed to fit an elevated/above ground passenger train line, a subway line, a freight train route, a roadway that connects to the two-level transit station, and a seaport with the coolest cargo ship ever to be made for wooden trains.
In addition to the Deluxe Railway Set, it seems like nearly every current Brio train, train set, and train set accessory is also on sale. I have some birthday and Christmas shopping to get out of the way early…
Brio Train Sets
- Brio Cargo Harbor Set — The Little Engineer got this a couple of years ago for his birthday. It’s a fantastic set. It comes with the same super cool cargo ship that’s included in the Deluxe Railway Set.
- Brio Cargo Railway Deluxe Set
- Brio Classic Figure 8 Set
- Brio Steam Engine Set
- Brio Farm Railway Set
- Brio Metro Railway Set
- Brio Travel Switching Set — This was one of our first Brio sets. We immediately loved the way you could put people into the trains — so fun!
- Brio Monorail Airport Set — As big fans of the Seattle Monorail, we’ve been wanting this set. There seem to be some issues with the set design — read the reviews — but it still looks really cool. Add the blue Brio Airplane for more flights to and from this airport!
- Brio Rail and Road Loading Set
- Brio Safari Railway Train Set
- Brio Little Forest Train
- Brio My First Railway Starter Pack Train Set
- Brio Roller Coaster Set Train — This is another one where the set looks super cool, but there may be some issues getting it to work according to reviews I’ve read. Still, I’m really tempted…
Brio Train Set Accessories and Destinations
- Brio Ferry Boat — This train ferry is so cool, and a great opportunity to learn about train ferries, which are real! Our favorite thing to do with ours is to build two different train layouts far apart from each other and ferry the trains back and forth.
- Brio Parking Garage — The Little Engineer got this one for his birthday last year, and he loves it, especially the elevator. This is a nice addition to a train collection for an older preschooler or kindergartner whose interests are starting branch out, because it can connect train play to car and city play. Love it.
- Brio Dynamite Tunnel Train Set — This is another great gift for an older child who’s looking for a little more excitement in their wooden train play. Ours is a little finicky, but that doesn’t stop the Little Engineer from loving it.
- Brio Safari Crossing Train Set
- Brio Signal Station — These are so cool! They add more interaction to an already popular train set feature — switches — and demonstrate that it takes more people than just engineers and conductors to run a railway.
- Brio Advanced Track Expansion Pack
- Brio Lifting Bridge
- Brio Viaduct Bridge
- Brio Train Garage
- Brio Freight Goods Station
- Brio Speaking Station
- Brio Record and Play Station — We have a different version of this station. It’s been fun listening to the evolution of what the Little Engineer chooses to record on his. We’ve gone from toddler-ese to “A train has derailed!”
- Brio Tower Crane
- Brio Collapsing Bridge — This is another one we’ve been wanting to add some more excitement to our collection.
- Brio Airplane — This airplane is awesome. And a great shade of blue. The Little Engineer loves it.
- Brio Harbor Bridge — This is the same bridge from the Brio Cargo Harbor Set above.
- Brio Special Edition 2015 Train
- Brio Gold Mining Train — One of our favorite trains! The gold cargo is super cool, and the “hood” of the train lifts up so kids can pretend to fix it. The two cargo cars that come with it are smaller but deeper than the usual wooden train ones for some variety.
- Brio Clever Crane Wagon Set
- Brio Freight Battery Engine
- Brio Battery Operated Action Train
- Brio Farm Animal Train
- Brio RC Train Engine — This may not be the most powerful battery-operated train for wooden tracks, but we love the remote control, and it’s very stylish! We’ve had a lot of fun with it.
- Brio Boxcar Train — We love the way the Brio boxcars slide open. This set comes with two of them.
- Brio Fire Engine Train Set — This is a fun addition, especially if you have a child who loves trains and fire trucks.
- Brio Speedy Bullet Train
- Brio Steam Train — An old-fashioned American steam engine, with an old fashioned engineer to match!
- Brio Travel Train
- Brio Travel Battery Train
- Brio Fork Lift Truck
- Brio Mega Crane and Load Kit Train
- Brio Safari Train
- Brio Windmill Truck
- Brio My First Railway Train Set — This looks like a really cute first wooden train!
- Brio Construction Vehicle Set Train
Another of our favorite brands, Green Toys, has a ton of their fantastic, eco- and kid-friendly toys on sale, including their Blue and Red Train and their Pink and Green Train. (As of writing this, the pink train is significantly cheaper than the blue one before the 30% discount.) These look like they’re for only for toddlers — and they are perfect for toddlers — but at five-and-a-half years old, the Little Engineer has fun playing with his. My favorite thing about these trains is that they can hold much larger objects than most toy trains. Plus, they’re perfect for outdoor play, and they’re dishwasher safe and made from recycled milk jug plastic. One of these days we’re going to use ours as a snack train! I highly recommend all of the Green Toys vehicles, and there are several of them on sale right now.
Block Trains and Pull Trains for Toddlers
Train Play Tent
The Playhut Mickey Mouse Train is also on sale.